Sunday, October 29, 2017

The meal refused

Walked to the library today to renew a book. Enroute, saw a man standing at I-5 and Madison with a sign, and another one leaning against the low cement barrier overlooking the traffic, his legs sprawled onto the sidewalk and his body bend over, face down. He looked exhausted. I looked for a needle and didn't see any, and I realized I had no meal to offer him.

After the library, I walked to Ivar's Acres of Clams, purchased the 5 fishes and chips meal to go, making sure to get extra cups of catsup and tartar sauce. I  ate two fish strips and  headed back up the hill, thinking the men at the bridge might still be there. They weren't.

At the freeway intersection, two men who seemed to be homeless crossed south, and another potentially homeless man with backpack passed north. The timing didn't seem right to make an offer. I headed on uphill.

At Boren and Madison, two women sitting at the bus stop seemed like potential candidates, but I didn't know how to offer the meal I had, when there were two. Again, it didn't feel right.

But ahead of me there was a withered, short, thin bald man with a deep tan shuffling along the sidewalk. He approached a couple, one of whom held out a package to him. They exchanged words, and the couple moved on, while he zeroed in on me. As he drew close he asked for $2 for MacDonald's. I said I had food. He asked me for $2 again for food. I said "this is a meal --it's fish and chips." He turned slightly and walked past me. Maybe all he wanted was money for drugs.

I walked home and ate the fish and chips myself.

This doesn't seem to be working any more. The point was to engage people in conversation and learn more about them and what they need. In most engagements, that doesn't happen in any significant way.

Meals served so far: still 46
Ubuntu

No comments:

Post a Comment