Saturday, October 21, 2017

Breakfast is served for the Real Change vendor

Top story for latest Real Change is public art in industrial corridor

Just when I think I'm done taking meals to homeless people there's a Real Change vendor at the door of the Capitol Hill Safeway on this rainy morning. This is just too convenient.

"Would you like a cooked chicken?" I asked. He demurred, because he's allergic to chicken.

So I asked him for an alternate and he said Mac and Cheese. But Safeway's deli was out of that today. So I came back and asked again. He went for jo-jos and pot stickers (although I had to explain what pot stickers were). However, the pot stickers had chicken in them, so instead I sprang for the spring rolls, spotted the pizza stick, and picked up half a pound of jo-jos. Kind of a starchy meal, but it was warm and ready to go. Cost: A measly $5.37.

I asked him if he was cold. He explained that someone stole his sleeping bag. No, he didn't know about Operation Nightwatch, so I asked him whether he used the library and handed him a Homeless in Seattle.net business card. I told him to go to the Web site, look at the "blankets" listing and that would take him to Operation Nightwatch. They provide warm dinners, and a shelter, and if they don't have a shelter you can get a blanket and a metro bus pass, I explained. (He didn't know that some people ride the bus at night to stay warm and safe.)

Meals served so far: 46
Ubuntu

No comments:

Post a Comment